Witty Title in the Works

Thursday, June 22, 2006

My Backyard

I have a great room. It's in the back of the house, and my desk and computer are positioned so that I can see right out into the backyard.

My dad has a great yard. He takes a lot of pride in his yard, and is constantly working on it. When he used to leave the house to go to work, the first thing he did when he got home was wander around the yard, making sure everything was still as it should be. We generally didn't see him for about a half an hour after he got home. My dad hung up a birdfeeder in the backyard a few weeks ago. He hung it on a brach that wasn't near any other branches thinking this would stop the squirrels from getting to it. He was wrong.

I watched as a squirrel shimmied right down the wire and positioned themselves on the birdfeeder. Well, then a second squirrel went down after it. The third tried, but it was too much, and they all fell off. It was quite amusing. So, the smart buggers figured out that only 2 at a time could sit on the birdfeeder. I spent a few days watching the squirrels go up and down the wire from my window.

After a few days of this, I just had to tell my dad that it was the squirrels, not the birds, enjoying the food. No matter, he bought a hood for the birdfeeder. This would solve the problem he was sure. Now we could all enjoy watching the birds. But those damn squirrels (that was so my grandfather talking just then)! I sat at my desk and watched again, as the squirrels out-witted my dad. They continued to climb down the wire, and ever so carefully climb down the hood, until they could leap to the wire continuing down to the food. This was even more fun to watch than before! The more he tried to keep them away, the more amusement I got.

Finally, my brother stepped up to the plate. He took a stick of butter, and rubbed it around the edge of the hood. Now when the squirrels got to the hood, they just slid right off. Imagine a greased playground slide. So I watched in utter amusement as the squirrels slid right off the hood, over and over and over again. They're persistant those squirrels. But they finally got the hint, and they now must be content to sit on the ground, under the birdfeeder, hoping that some bird will knock a few pieces of seed onto the ground. I suppose I'll just have to find something else to amuse me now. Oh well!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger K. said…

    you and my mom should squirrel watch together. she has the fattest squirrels in the ocean state

     
  • At 3:48 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    Well, she and I shall have a good time at the party in a few weekends!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home